[Tutorial] Modeling 3D Logo form a 2D Image

Moderators: Yodaman921, Gabriel

[Tutorial] Modeling 3D Logo form a 2D Image

Postby hamsterhill » Thu Aug 14, 2008 2:06 am

this tutorial will help you transform your 2d logo into a 3d work of art.

the text version continues the process further then the video one because i ran out of time. :D

Here's the link

logo.jpg
logo.jpg (34.8 KiB) Viewed 15098 times

for this demonstration i have selected a random logo form google image search.

1.first clear the scene and goto top view. then in the header of the 3d view click View then background image. click use background image and then click load and find the logo that you are going to use. and then close that window.
logo1.JPG
logo1.JPG (6.7 KiB) Viewed 15087 times

2.add a bezier curve and press v to straiten it (make the curve less confusing to work with)and trace around the logo by extruding and moving and manipulating the control points to fit the curve of the logo and once you have gone around the outside press c to make it a complete loop
logo2.JPG
logo2.JPG (50.63 KiB) Viewed 15101 times

3.if your logo has separate bits that you want to all be the same colour/hight then simply add a new curve and go around those with the new curve.
logo3.JPG
logo3.JPG (14.41 KiB) Viewed 15082 times

4. if you need to put holes in it at certain points simply add another curve and cut out areas(remember to press c once you've gone around the shape to make it a loop. cutting out is genrally easyer in wireframe mode so press z).
logo4.JPG
logo4.JPG (13.27 KiB) Viewed 15098 times

5. once you have traced around 1 layer of the logo extrude it in the curves and surfaces panel. you will have to use your own judgment as to how thick you want it too be.
logo5.JPG
logo5.JPG (19.22 KiB) Viewed 15077 times

6. if you want your logo to have a layered effect to make certain details stand out then add another curve in object mod and trace around these details.(if the othere layers are getting in your way simply click on them and press h to hide them. when you want to see them again press alt + h)
logo6.JPG
logo6.JPG (19.92 KiB) Viewed 15089 times

and you should now have a finished logo all ready for whatever you want.

happy blending :D
Last edited by hamsterhill on Sun Sep 28, 2008 11:54 pm, edited 3 times in total.
my video tutorials cam be found here
hamsterhill
Premium Member
Premium Member

Re: [Tutorial] Modeling 3D Logo form a 2D Image

Postby eikenschild » Wed Aug 20, 2008 7:10 am

so actually you took a picture created the picture above it and selected all the vertices and extruded them, right ?
ImageAthel loren is my home and I surve my king Orion and queen Ariel, as I am a true wood elf.
eikenschild

Postby hamsterhill » Wed Aug 20, 2008 7:17 am

well if you read it you would know that i used a curve and not a mesh which is better because it gives you more control over the lines.
hamsterhill
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby eikenschild » Wed Aug 20, 2008 8:06 am

yes, but how do yo attach two curves to each other?
ImageAthel loren is my home and I surve my king Orion and queen Ariel, as I am a true wood elf.
eikenschild

Postby hamsterhill » Wed Aug 20, 2008 6:54 pm

while haveing a curve selected press c to complete the loop. im sure i mentioned that in the tutorial
hamsterhill
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby observe » Thu Aug 21, 2008 7:08 pm

1st of all, iam a great noob in this things
2nd of all iam going to a school for this kind of stuf in like 4 years so i want to learn it now so that i can start of with great foot

@least some ppl get it, i realy dont know that curving.
isnt there a video tut for this?
so i can watch

i learn faster with vid tut than with reading,

pm me a message when an answer is available please

thanks in advance
observe

Postby hamsterhill » Thu Aug 21, 2008 7:27 pm

i would have loved have made this and meany of my other tutorials video tutorials but my computer has decided that it refuses to accept microphones. i have a working mic but last time i tried it worked on my dads pc but not on mine... anyway i don't know of any video tutorials about this topic so youll have to eather read it or find one yourself.
hamsterhill
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby observe » Thu Aug 21, 2008 7:32 pm

hamsterhill wrote:i would have loved have made this and meany of my other tutorials video tutorials but my computer has decided that it refuses to accept microphones. i have a working mic but last time i tried it worked on my dads pc but not on mine... anyway i don't know of any video tutorials about this topic so youll have to eather read it or find one yourself.

but then how can i do that curving
maybe you could explain me, i tried about 5times (pressing v) but it wont straighten, then i finnaly found out why it woulnd
but the next prob is that i dotn get it how to make all the curves for the picture

(if some one follows me) help please xD
observe

Postby hamsterhill » Thu Aug 21, 2008 11:52 pm

ok well to straiten them you need to select the points and press v. to make the image exturude to any point where it change direction like at the end of each curve. do that all the wat around putting a point at each corner and so on like in the picture. then go back and move the control points to manipulate the curve to follow thie image beneth. also if you want to be told when someone posts on a certain topic then click "bookmark" at the very bottom of the page.

EDIT: oh i got my mic to work and i found a recording program so im going to try to do this tutorial as a video. ill post it here when ive done it but ill leave the text one for people with slow connections.
hamsterhill
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby hamsterhill » Fri Aug 22, 2008 3:53 am

ok i put up a video tutorial hope thats more helpful.
hamsterhill
Premium Member
Premium Member

Next

Return to User Tutorials