[Tutorial] Textures Copper, Brass, Platinum, Silver

Moderators: Yodaman921, Gabriel

[Tutorial] Textures Copper, Brass, Platinum, Silver

Postby 1st paradox » Sun Apr 06, 2008 3:41 am

To start off we need a basic scene we have covered this in the first textures tutorial called "textures glass, chrome, gold, brushed alloy" just follow those steps to get a basic scene then press SPACE>ADD>MESH>MONKEY as this is what we will be textureing in this tutorial.

COPPER

To make the monkey look like copper go to the materials tab (F5) click ADD NEW and select the shaders tab move the REF slider to 1.000 and change the COOKTOR menu to BLINN by clicking on it and selecting BLINN in the drop down menu now put the SPEC slider to 2.00 the HARD slider to 500 and the REFR slider to 6.500 now go into the MIRROR TRANS tab and press the RAY MIRROR button and set the RAYMIR slider to 0.10 now go to the textures tab (F6) click ADD NEW and in the drop down menu select CLOUDS now in the newly opend window set the NOISE to 350 and press the HARD NOISE button we add this to give the copper a bumpy texture as copper is a soft metal it looks this way most of the time. Now under the MATERIAL tab (F5) with the COL button selected put the R slider to 0.800 the G slider to 0.525 and the B slider to 0.280 now go to the MAP TO tab and press the NOR button and put the NOR slider to 0.65 now still in the MAP TO tab set the R slider to 0.730 the G slider to 0.455 and the B slider to 0.200 there all done render to have a look it should look like ths.....
copper monkey.jpg
copper monkey.jpg (42.66 KiB) Viewed 26216 times

BRASS
To make brass go to the meterial tab (F5) click ADD NEW now set the R slider to 0.735 the G slider to 0.665 and the B slider to 0.265 now go to the SHADERS tab and press the TANGENT button and set the REF slider to 1.000 now in the dropdown menu change to COOKTORR to BLINN and set the SPEC slider to 2.00 the HARD slider to 500 and the REFR slider to 6.500 now go in to the MIRROR TRANS tab and press the RAY MIRROR button then set the RAYMIRR slider to 0.30 and your done so if you render it you should have something that looks like this.....
brass monkey.jpg
brass monkey.jpg (41 KiB) Viewed 26204 times

PLATINUM

To make platinum go to the meterial tab (F5) click ADD NEW now set the R slider to 0.915 the G slider to 0.910 and the B slider to 0.800 now go to the SHADERS tab and press the TANGENT button and set the REF slider to 1.000 now in the dropdown menu change to COOKTORR to BLINN and set the SPEC slider to 2.00 the HARD slider to 500 and the REFR slider to 6.500 now go in to the MIRROR TRANS tab and press the RAY MIRROR button then set the RAYMIRR slider to 0.30 thats it your done. Render it and you should have something that looks like this.....
platinum monkey.jpg
platinum monkey.jpg (39.09 KiB) Viewed 26184 times

SILVER

Now to get silver go to the meterial tab (F5) click ADD NEW now set the R slider to 0.770 the G slider to 0.770 and the B slider to 0.770 now go to the SHADERS tab and press the TANGENT button and set the REF slider to 1.000 now in the dropdown menu change to COOKTORR to BLINN and set the SPEC slider to 2.00 the HARD slider to 500 and the REFR slider to 6.500 now go in to the MIRROR TRANS tab and press the RAY MIRROR button then set the RAYMIRR slider to 0.10 thats it your done. Render it and you should have something that looks like this.....
silver monkey.jpg
silver monkey.jpg (38.14 KiB) Viewed 31039 times

Thats it for this tutorial hope you liked it :)
We have an opportunity here for personal growth through active dialogue
1st paradox

Re: [Tutorial] Textures Copper, Brass, Platinum, Silver

Postby Mr_Wrenchey » Sun Apr 06, 2008 3:56 am

Ha, dude, you are too good at this. Great tutorial. I'm loving these. Keep it up, yo.

EDIT: I'm not getting the bumpy texture on the copper. This is the outcome of me doing what you said...

Failedcopper.jpg
Failedcopper.jpg (69.05 KiB) Viewed 26168 times

Is there something I'm doing wrong?

Mr_Wrenchey

Postby 1st paradox » Sun Apr 06, 2008 5:15 am

Mr_Wrenchey wrote:Ha, dude, you are too good at this. Great tutorial. I'm loving these. Keep it up, yo.

EDIT: I'm not getting the bumpy texture on the copper.
Is there something I'm doing wrong?

Make sure after you select select CLOUDS you set the NOISE to 350 and press the HARD NOISE button. Now under the MATERIAL tab (F5) with the COL button selected put the R slider to 0.800 the G slider to 0.525 and the B slider to 0.280 now go to the MAP TO tab and press the NOR button and put the NOR slider to 0.65 now still in the MAP TO tab set the R slider to 0.730 the G slider to 0.455 and the B slider to 0.200
And that should be it.
I wright these tut as i do them in blender that way i dont miss anything out and make sure they are all correct befor i post them
1st paradox

Postby Mr_Wrenchey » Sun Apr 06, 2008 1:04 pm

Hmmm... I dunno what I'm doing wrong. Maybe somethings wrong with my Blender, but I'm following it exactly. I know that pushing "Nor" is supposed to add the bumpy texture, I do it all the time, but for some reason, it's not working. If I can get a video, I'll try to show you it. I dunno what's wrong. Sorry, yo. I won't bug you with more questions though.
I'll try to figure it out on my own. Keep up the good work on the tutorials though. I loved the last one. =)

Mr_Wrenchey

Postby 1st paradox » Mon Apr 07, 2008 8:02 am

Mr_Wrenchey wrote:Hmmm... I dunno what I'm doing wrong. Maybe somethings wrong with my Blender, but I'm following it exactly. I know that pushing "Nor" is supposed to add the bumpy texture, I do it all the time, but for some reason, it's not working. If I can get a video, I'll try to show you it. I dunno what's wrong. Sorry, yo. I won't bug you with more questions though.
I'll try to figure it out on my own. Keep up the good work on the tutorials though. I loved the last one. =)

Thanks glad you like them.
Hope you solve the problem
1st paradox

Postby -N- » Mon Apr 07, 2008 3:24 pm

very nice and helpful tutorials and very easy to use also!
- N -
-N-

Postby super3boy » Mon Apr 07, 2008 3:49 pm

Approved and Moved! :D
super3boy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby shycho » Tue Feb 24, 2009 5:14 pm

Hi, I am a bit of a noob when it comes to Blender, however I am fairly certain I am following your tutorial to the letter, but for some reason when trying to make the platinum effect, my object appears completely white when rendered. Although in the preview window it looks like a platinum texture. I know it's a long shot but any ideas what I or blender are doing wrong?
Thanks
shycho

Postby janronz » Mon Jul 13, 2009 10:42 am

thanks for having this one, i learn something new, i much prefer the copper monkey.. ;)

Return to User Tutorials