[Tutorial] Textures Glass, Chrome, Gold, Brushed Alloy

Moderators: Yodaman921, Gabriel

[Tutorial] Textures Glass, Chrome, Gold, Brushed Alloy

Postby 1st paradox » Thu Apr 03, 2008 9:55 am

Have you always wondered how to get those awkward textures like glass, chrome, gold, and brushed alloy?
Then wonder no more this is how its done.

To start off we need a basic scene so select the default cube and press S then 10 and enter now go to wire frame mode by pressing Z and press SPACE>ADD>MESH>CUBE now with the new cube selected hold shift and press D this will duplicate the cube so go ahead and move the already selected new cube next to the old one and repeat the process so you have 3 small cubes inside 1 big cube now select the big cube and press TAB to go into edit mode in the links and materials tab you will see a grey box with
0 MAT 0 written on it so press the new button located underneath it now the grey box says 1 MAT 1 and it has another small grey box to its left click on this and make a tan colour and move out of the colour box and press the assign button at the bottom of the buttons for the colour selector.
Now select one of the small cubes and repeat the process click new select the colour but make it red and then press assign now repeat this for the other 2 cubes make one of them green and the other one blue.
Now go into top view (numpad 7) and move the small cubes above the red line (G) to grab and re-size them if you want to but stay inside the large cube and that's it scene complete it should look something like this.....
scene basic.jpg
scene basic.jpg (24.93 KiB) Viewed 26583 times

Now for the object we will be texturing

press SPACE>ADD>MESH>MONKEY add a subsurf modifier and set smooth then re-size (S) to 2 and position it so it covers at least a bit of all the small cubes it should look something like this.....
monkey base.jpg
monkey base.jpg (29.79 KiB) Viewed 26563 times

GLASS

So to make it look like glass select the monkey press F5 to go into the shading/material tab and press the ADD NEW button now go to the SHADERS tab and set the spec slider to 1.330 and the hard slider to 500 and press the TRASHAD button now go to the mirror transp tab and press the RAY MIRROR tab and move the RAYMIR slider to 0.5 and the FRESNEL slider to 5.
Now press the RAYTRANSP button and set the IOR slider to 1.6 and the FRESNEL slider to 5 and put the DEPTH up to 7 that's it you have made glass so go and turn on AMBIANT OCCULUSION in the WORLD button under AMB OCC and render it.
It should look like this.....
monkey glass finished.jpg
monkey glass finished.jpg (77.72 KiB) Viewed 26566 times

CHROME

To make it look like chrome go to the materials tab (F5) and select the shaders tab move the REF slider to 1.000 and change the COOKTOR menu to BLINN by clicking on it and selecting BLINN in the drop down menu now put the SPEC slider to 2.00 the HARD slider to 500 and the REFR slider to 6.500 now go into the MIRROR TRANS tab and press the RAY MIRROR button and set the RAYMIR slider to 0.50 that's it render and it should look like this.....
monkey chrome finished.jpg
monkey chrome finished.jpg (34.64 KiB) Viewed 26554 times

GOLD

To make the monkey look like gold go to the materials tab (F5) and select the shaders tab move the REF slider to 1.000 and change the COOKTOR menu to BLINN by clicking on it and selecting BLINN in the drop down menu now put the SPEC slider to 2.00 the HARD slider to 500 and the REFR slider to 6.500 now go into the MIRROR TRANS tab and press the RAY MIRROR button and set the RAYMIR slider to 0.70 now under the MATERIAL tab with the COL button selected put the R and G slider up to 1.000 and the B slider to 0.000 now that's it just render it and it should look like this.....
monkey gold finished.jpg
monkey gold finished.jpg (35.81 KiB) Viewed 26510 times

BRUSHED ALLOY

Now for the brushed alloy go to the material tab (F5) and press ADD NEW now with COL selected put the R, G and B sliders to 0.200 now go to the SHADERS tab and press the TANGENT button and put the REF slider to 1.000 the SPEC slider to 1.10 and the HARD slider to 200 now go to the MIRROR TRANS tab and press the RAY MIRROR button and put the RAY MIR slider to 0.20 now go to the TEXTURE BUTTONS (F6) and press ADD NEW in the TEXTURE TYPE drop down menu select CLOUDS now in the new CLOUDS menu press the HARD NOISE button and set the NOISE SIZE to 300 now go back to the materials buttons (F5) and go to the MAP INPUT tab press the SPHE button and increase the SIZE Y slider to 75.00 now go into the MAP TO tab and press the NOR button and put the NOR slider to 0.25 now put the R, G and B sliders to 0.350 now just for a clearer view add another LAMP to the scene and that's it all done your rendered image should look like this.....
monkey brushed alloy finished.jpg
monkey brushed alloy finished.jpg (40.32 KiB) Viewed 26496 times

I hope these helped you.
Keep on blending :)
We have an opportunity here for personal growth through active dialogue
1st paradox

Re: [Tutorial] Textures Glass, Chrome, Gold, Brushed Alloy

Postby tjea » Thu Apr 03, 2008 10:01 am

Great tut! Thanks. I found this very helpful.
tjea

Postby 1st paradox » Thu Apr 03, 2008 11:49 am

tjea wrote:Great tut! Thanks. I found this very helpful.

No problem just glad to help :D
1st paradox

Postby Aethercake » Thu Apr 03, 2008 12:24 pm

Very nice indeed. ;)
Aethercake

Postby Modude » Thu Apr 03, 2008 6:52 pm

Gotta love the alloy :)
Modude

Postby 1st paradox » Fri Apr 04, 2008 1:53 am

Modude wrote:Gotta love the alloy :)

yeah thats my favorite
1st paradox

Postby super3boy » Fri Apr 04, 2008 7:08 am

Approved and Moved.
super3boy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Psy Cthulhu » Sat Apr 05, 2008 5:49 am

nice...
give's me some more marks on my material-mixing-mind-map. :lol:
Psy Cthulhu

Postby Mr_Wrenchey » Sat Apr 05, 2008 8:56 pm

Agreed. I love this tutorial. =) All the ones on Blender Noob to Pro are good, but you just remade them it seems like. All very nice. Brushed Alloy is my favorite as well.
Fantastic job. I love this tutorial. If you have more texture ones, I'd love to see them.
Mr_Wrenchey

Postby bent » Wed May 07, 2008 6:34 pm

Wheres the depth slider and how come my render of a glass comes out black?
bent

Next

Return to User Tutorials