[Tutorial] Realistic water Text

Moderators: Yodaman921, Gabriel

[Tutorial] Realistic water Text

Postby 1st paradox » Wed Apr 02, 2008 6:42 pm

This is my first tutorial so be nice

This is how i create realistic looking water in blender.

First off delete the default cube by selecting it and pressing X now press SPACE>ADD>MESH>PLAIN now resize it to about 5 by selecting the plain and pressing S then 5 this is a good size to see most of the plain in the camera view (0 on numpad for camera view).
Now select the shading button (f5) under links and pipeline press the add new button now go to the texture buttons (f6) under texture press the add new button and now under the dropdown menu under texture types select clouds now in the newly appered menu increase the noise size to about 0.350 and press the hard noise button then go back to the material buttons tab (f5) go to the map to tab and deselect the col button and press the nor button and increase the nor slider to 1.00 now go on and render it look at your progress so far.........
real water tut 1.jpg
real water tut 1.jpg (19.15 KiB) Viewed 62916 times

Good eh right lets carry on.
Now go back to the texture buttons (f6) and under texture select a new texture channel (one of the blank buttons) and make that a cloud texture again increase the noise size to 0.350 and press the hard noise button now go back to the material buttons (f5) now go to the map to tab and deselect col and select nor just like before only this time set the nor slider to about 0.70 now go to the map input tab and set the SIZE X SIZE Y and SIZE Z to 4.0 doing this will make the new texture smaller than the first texture giving the appearence of realism in bumpyness. don't believe me?....... well what are you waiting for go on render it.
real water tut 2.jpg
real water tut 2.jpg (25.97 KiB) Viewed 62862 times

Right now go into the mirror trans tab and press the ray transp button push the ior slider to 3.00 the fresnel slider up to 5 and the fac to 1.20 now in top view (7 on the numpad) select the lamp and move it just a bit past the top left corner of the plain (G to grab the lamp) now go to front view (1 on the numpad ) and grab the lamp again (G) and move it down by pressing the Z key to about two lamps hight off the plain and last of all press the world buttons tab and move all the HoR sliders to 0 (black) as this looks better than the standard blue back drop for this unlandscaped image thats it your all done go on render it.
real water tut 3.jpg
real water tut 3.jpg (45.35 KiB) Viewed 65519 times

Imagine how that will look in a good landscape but dont forget it is transparent so you need to add an under texture of somthing muddy or sandy for best results.
We have an opportunity here for personal growth through active dialogue
1st paradox

Re: [Tutorial] Realistic water Text

Postby Modude » Wed Apr 02, 2008 6:48 pm

Nice, I haven't been able to make good water, lol.
Modude

Postby random kid » Wed Apr 02, 2008 7:05 pm

i thought the end look was very nice another cool thing to do is make the water a soft body with some wait on the edges and do the wave thing from super3's tut and put the wave modifier underneath the soft body looks really cool if you have a low wave because the soft body roles over at the end of the wave for a realistic end at the waves also set the speed down a lot :ugeek:
"fear is what gives it form, and I am not afraid"
random kid

Postby super3boy » Wed Apr 02, 2008 11:29 pm

Approved and Moved! :D
super3boy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby The N3rD » Thu Apr 03, 2008 9:23 am

Hey, I have a problem- my water is tinted purple! how do I fix this??
I believe in the Image
84% of all statistics are made up on the spot.
The N3rD

Postby 1st paradox » Thu Apr 03, 2008 9:33 am

The N3rD wrote:Hey, I have a problem- my water is tinted purple! how do I fix this??

Did you deselect the col button under the MAP TO tab
We have an opportunity here for personal growth through active dialogue
1st paradox

Postby The N3rD » Thu Apr 03, 2008 10:08 am

I must've though about doing it lol nope I didn't thanks! :)
I believe in the Image
84% of all statistics are made up on the spot.
The N3rD

Postby Mr_Wrenchey » Thu Apr 03, 2008 11:04 pm

Dang, yo. Props to you. This is very nice in my opinion. And it helped me understand what the heck "Nor" did. I had no clue how it worked until now.
So great job. Loved it!

Mr_Wrenchey

Postby 12remco12 » Sun May 18, 2008 6:58 am

random kid wrote:i thought the end look was very nice another cool thing to do is make the water a soft body with some wait on the edges and do the wave thing from super3's tut and put the wave modifier underneath the soft body looks really cool if you have a low wave because the soft body roles over at the end of the wave for a realistic end at the waves also set the speed down a lot :ugeek:

...i don't understand it... can u explain it or can u make a little tut
12remco12

Postby blakeskatemagic » Mon Jun 02, 2008 9:33 pm

did you make this cause i saw it on the blender site :o
blakeskatemagic

Next

Return to User Tutorials